Sunday, June 14, 2015

Drop the Mic, Walk Away

Thursday morning came, and with it, we were lucky enough to have Professor Giovanni De Giudici present to us about the militarization of Sardinia as well as nano-particles and the impact that both have on the environment.  It was an extremely interesting lecture and I was most intrigued with his discussion of nano particles and how they act differently than the larger conglomerates that we tend to see in day to day life.  It is a topic that I would be interested into reading more about.  After he presented, our final lecture was given to us by Professor Giovanna Cappai who discussed the different ways to manage waste to energy bottom ashes and how those ashed can be used for carbon sequestration from the same combustion processes.  It was interesting to see the use of a bi-product helping to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.  It showed a more sustainable side to waste to energy facilities that interested me.  After our morning lectures wrapped up, we were assigned specific parts for the mock trial and then we all went home to prep.

On Friday morning, we went to class and began our mock trial.  I was the moderator and among us others role played parts such as shepherds, farmers, citizens, government officials, and consultants.  Overall, I think the simulation went very well and that it mimicked how a real situation would transpire.  The conclusion that everyone came to a consensus on was that regulation is the number one priority with further testing to be done to determine whether remediation is necessary or not.  After the trial, I went home to reflect upon the situation further and complete my reflection paper.  Aside from this blog post, I have written deeper reflections into the situation if anyone is interested in reading them.  Upon completion of my reflection, I worked on the project until we all went out to dinner.  We traveled up the hill into the fort to explore and found a pretty cool restaurant with a view.  The night went on and everyone found their way to different parts of the city to continue exploring.
   
On Saturday, we started off the day with free time, which meant laundry for me.  After laundry, I continued to work on the project until we took off for Sella del Diavolo.  Luckily for me and the rest of the fair skinned people, the sun was hidden from view as we started our hike.  We walked around the mountain and had a spectacular 360 degree view of  the city.  The view was definitely one of the best I've had so far.  We made our way back down the hill and then back to Cagliari as we all hunted for food when we got back.  After dinner, we all came back and hung around before we all went off to do our own things.  

Today, I woke up and grabbed some breakfast before coming back and completing my blog.  In the interest of time, I want to complete this blog this morning so that I can enjoy our excursion this afternoon as well as have time to come back and work on the project further.  This afternoon we all are going to Sarga di Santa Caterina in Orroli to experience some traditional Sardinian culture.  I imagine that there will be a lot of food, music, and dancing and that the traditional costumes that we have seen before will be adorned.  I am excited for the trip and all that comes with it.

Now that this journey is approaching its final legs, this blog will be wrapping up.  The memories I have made here will truly last a lifetime and are more far reaching than my blog can portray.  I wan to thank everyone that made this trip so utterly amazing, especially Annalisa, becasue without her hard work, none of this would have happened for my friends and I.  With all of that, I will be dropping the metaphorical blog microphone and walking away...

To the adventures that come...


Various views from the top of Sella del Diavolo





No comments:

Post a Comment