Sunday, June 7, 2015

Pula Hoop

The end of this week ended with a bang as we had another technical visit, a fully loaded school day, and a weekend off to continue exploring this amazing island.  On Thursday, we visited Campidano Ambiente and were lucky to have Professor Massidda talk to us about the companies waste collection practices and all of the associated details, difficulties, and successes.  He gave a very good presentation and I applaud him for being the one brave soul to present to us in English.  After his presentation, they were so kind as to give us an informational CD as well as provide us with lunch.  The desert tray was demolished immediately.  In the afternoon, we worked hard to finish up our next project and study for our upcoming test the next day.

Friday came and with it a busy day of school.  The morning started off with the group presentations.  I am very happy that I had the chance to work with Mike and Kestral and together, I felt really good about the way we presented.  I would have to say that I was genuinely interested in this project and was happy to report all of our findings to the class.  After all of us wrapped up presentations, we had a brief guest lecture on composting and then headed off to lunch.  When we got back, we took our midterm exam and everything went smooth.  That night we went to an Erasmus party near campus where they were fundraising for Nepal.  It was pretty cool but by the end of the day I was ready for bed.

Come Saturday, Ted, Maggie, Audriana and I went souvenir shopping in the morning.  I put a solid dent in my list and even got some stuff for myself.  After the morning shopping, we got lunch and I had my first bite of horse meat.  It was pretty tasty but unlike Annalisa, I wouldn't say its my favorite.  We then headed to Poetto again for an afternoon in the sun.  Come nighttime, we grabbed dinner and all watched as Juve lost the Eurocup.  I don't really care about soccer but it would have been fun to have a "local" team win and see the city's excitement.

Today, Sunday, Kestral, Erika, Emily, Lindsey, and myself went to Pula, a town near Cagliari.  We visited the archaeological park at Nora and went on a tour of the old Roman ruins.  It was super cool to see all of the ruins and listen to all of the history behind them.  It was pretty fascinating.  We also were able to climb to the top of one of the old towers.  Below are some of the pictures from this weekend and today.


 Sunset outside of our window Friday night 
 Preemptive Juve champions flags 
 Old mosaic flooring of one of the bathhouses that the Romans used
 The amphitheater on site 
 One of the towers 
  View from just below the tower


No comments:

Post a Comment